WHY WE DECIDED TO BUILD AGAIN
As most of you know we sold our house in May and are currently building our new house. I wanted to start the “new build” blog series with this post. I get a lot of questions of why we decided to build again. Sometimes I think, “Am I crazy or am I crazy?!” because I do love that house! Let’s rewind to the end of 2017. I feel like I need to go way back! 😉
In 2017, Cecilia and her family were living with us…yes, 4 adults and 8 kids! It was fun and stressful at the same time! Anyways, they were debating whether to build or purchase a house, and they decided they wanted to build. Ideally, Cecilia and I wanted to live right next door to each other, but unfortunately the lot next to us was already purchased.
In the summer of 2018, Nick was open to the idea of looking for land to have both families live next door to each other. As some of you might know, land is hard to find these days, so he didn’t know how long it would take. I remember him even saying, “It could take 3 months or it could take years.” It came sooner than expected because we found land and closed on it December 2018.
Reasons we wanted to purchase land and build again:
- Have both families live right next to each other. Cecilia and I’s kids love to hang out with each other, and we wanted them to live and grow up together. They always want to go to each other’s houses, so this way they can just walk there. 😉
- We wanted to purchase land that was in the school district. In our previous home, we had to open enroll our kids to their school. Rumor has it that they would eventually close open enrollment.
- We were tired of the gravel. We know that living out in the country, having acreage, and having a view had its’ perks, but that also meant having to deal with gravel. We loved our view, we loved our house, but driving through 3 miles of gravel got old. When Nick was looking for the new land he was looking to see how much gravel we had to drive and if there were plans by the city to pave it.
- We wanted to have more acreage…more than 5 acres.
- We love living out in the country, but we also wanted to be closer to the school and church. When we were looking at the land we now own, we timed how long it would take us to get to church and school. 😉 With 4 kids and all their sports/school activities, we wanted to be closer to town.
Yes, Nick was looking at land, but I remember telling him too that it would be okay if we stayed in that house forever because I do love it. Our future plans for that house was to put in a pool in the backyard and somehow convert the screened in porch to be a four seasons room.
When we first moved into this home, I told people that we were going to be in that house forever. The kids would get married in the backyard, and Nick and I would grow old there. I even joked that I would probably die in the house, and you’d bury me in the backyard. 😉
We lived in this house for 3 years, and there were so many great memories here. The pictures in this blog post were taken the morning we closed on the house. I was a wreck when I left that driveway for the last time.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Stay tuned for the next one! Hint…it has something to do with the floor plan 😉
Life is full of surprises! We have to just go with the flow. Congratulations on your land purchase! I’ll be following along to see what this new build will bring,
*Just a suggestion* If the Master/Principle is on the bottom floor, then you can comfortably grow old there.
Hi Joanna! Thank you!! I always think that everything happens for a reason…we just have to go with God’s plan right?! In this house we had the master on the main floor, and in the new house we’ll be doing the same! No one has time to go up and down those stairs when they get older! HA 😉
so is your sister across the street from your old house or is she already across the street at the new build? Or is her house a future build on the same land ? Whatever the answer I love that your friendship is so treasured that not only could you live in the same house but still want to be close! Awesome sauce! Congrats on the new build- have enjoyed following along
Hi Judy! So she actually built her house across the street from this house! Even though she’s “across the street” you still have to drive to her house. Most of the houses in the neighborhood is in 3-5 acre lots. I don’t know when she plans on moving into our new lot, but at least it’s there for her whenever they’re ready 😉
Hi! Your home is so lovely! Would you mind sharing the paint color of the exterior of the house? Also, is the porch painted that same color ? I am looking at colors for my porch and deck, and this is exactly what I had in mind! Just gorgeous!
Hi Jen! Thank you!! It’s called Place of Dust!
Hi Nina, my boyfriend and I just recently purchased a piece of land in a development and are going back and forth between builders, it all comes down to what floor plan they can do for us so I was excited to see that you are currently going through the same. I look forward to your future posts on floor plans you picked. It is just so overwhelming, going through each details. I just can’t wait until they are actually building it, right now its just a piece of wooded land that I anxiously (and impatiently) waiting to see my dream home built on. I am also looking to see what ideas you share that I can maybe use when my time comes!! Keep blogging!! 🙂
Hi Leann! So glad you’re following along and congrats on building! It’s such a stressful and fun process 😉