Sharing how to make these easy homemade flour tortillas!
My older sister Nariza loves to cook and she has always told us how easy it is to make homemade flour tortillas. I always thought making anything homemade like bread and tortillas, would be a lot of work. Nariza said only four ingredients are required. So, it shouldn’t be too difficult, right?!
— 1 pound all-purpose flour or about 4 cups plus more to roll out tortillas
— 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
— 2/3 cup vegetable shortening or lard
— 1 cup lukewarm water
She came over and showed me how to make homemade flour tortillas, and she was not kidding…it was so easy! The tortilla recipe she uses is the one by Pati Jinich. You can get these ingredients along with the kitchen scale, cast iron pan, and tortilla warmer at your local Walmart.
1. The first step is to measure out the flour. She used her digital kitchen scale to measure out 1 lb of flour. I don’t have a scale, but now I feel like I need one!
2. Then you add and mix in the salt, lard, and water to the flour.
3. After mixing the dough ingredients, sprinkle flour on the countertop and knead until smooth.
4. Cut the dough into four equal parts.
5. Roll one of the four pieces into a long shape and then cut it into four equal pieces.
6. Roll the dough pieces into individual balls and place them on a floured cookie sheet. Cover the sheet with a towel and let it sit for 15 minutes.
7. After waiting for 15 minutes, begin heating up your cast iron pan. While you wait for it to heat up, roll out each dough ball. Remember to sprinkle some flour onto the countertop to prevent sticking.
8. Once the pan is heated, place the tortilla on it. Air bubbles will appear, and flip when the bottom side is lightly browned.
We topped our dish with seasoned pork and homemade mango salsa. To make the mango salsa, we bought all the necessary fresh ingredients from Walmart. You don’t need to visit multiple stores to get everything you need! The salsa is made of mangos, onion, garlic, tomatoes, red pepper, lime juice, and salt. Nariza just added the ingredients together without measuring, but here’s a mango salsa recipe you can follow!
I always say, “If I can do it, you can do it!” Try this easy homemade flour tortilla for yourself!
shop this post