I had people asking about the recipe when I posted this pic on our Instagram, but my husband actually made it so I had to get the secret family recipe from him. Ok, ok…it’s not really a secret family recipe, but it sure does taste like it should be. 😉
The crust, my husband makes from scratch and refrigerates overnight before using. He got the recipe from About Food. If you go to the site it says it makes 1 large or 2 small pizzas, but when Blaine makes it, he stretches the dough to make 2 large pizzas out of it.
2 1/4 teaspoon (1 package) instant dry active yeast
1 cup warm water (not hot!)
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3 cups bread flour, or as needed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Toppings for 2 pizzas
1 can of tomato sauce
fresh mozzarella cheese
1/2 an 8 oz. bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add the water, yeast, sugar, and a 1/2 cup of the flour into a mixing bowl. Stir well and let sit for 20 minutes. It will get bubbly.
- Add olive oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour, and mix with a wooden spoon until it’s together enough to turn out on to a lightly floured work surface to knead.
- Knead for about 10 minutes, while adding more flour a little at a time, to produce a soft, elastic and slightly sticky dough. Do not add too much flour, just enough to keep it from sticking to the work surface as you knead.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl. Drizzle a few drops of oil and coat the top of dough to prevent the surface from becoming dry.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot for 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 2 balls and place in large zip lock plastic bags and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to use, remove from fridge, and let the dough come up to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 490 degrees.
- Roll out the dough, stretch it, and throw it until the crust is at your preference…then place on pizza pans (as mentioned above Blaine stretches it to make 2 large pizzas as we prefer thin crust).
- Spread tomato sauce (we don’t like too much tomato sauce on ours and only use about 3/4 of the can).
- Tear pieces of fresh mozzarella and spread evenly on both pizzas.
- Spread 1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese on both pizzas.
- Top with preferred toppings. We only did pepperoni, spinach, & broccoli slaw to 1/2 of one of the pizzas. The rest was only pepperoni.
- Bake until cheese is golden brown. I asked Blaine how long and of course he said he doesn’t time it. Typical guy comment. 😉
- Once the pizza was done baking, I added some more broccoli slaw for some extra crunch. ENJOY!!